At long last, the iBike Newton!

At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Today, we’re delighted to announce the new iBike Newton—the first complete redesign of the original iBike.

The Newton is so new, in so many ways, that we wanted its name to set it apart from our “Gen X” tradition. And if you aren’t sure why we named it Newton, then we’ve done a really lousy job explaining how the iBike works… :-)

So, what’s new about the Newton? If you’ve been following our earlier postings you’ll be familiar with most of these changes, but there are some new surprises, too! Check it out:

1) We use an internal, rechargeable battery, more than 2x the capacity of prior iBikes. You’ll get 160 hours of summertime riding, and during the winter you’ll get frostbike long before your Newton will need recharging
2) We are using latest-generation digital sensors throughout (wind, baro, and accelerometer). Compared to prior iBike analog sensors, new digital sensors are MUCH more accurate and immune to temperature changes.
3) Say goodbye to “Cal Wind”. Don’t need it!
4) Depending on model, up to 4x the memory capacity of prior-generation iBikes
5) We have completely redesigned the wind port, resulting in better crosswind and drafting performance, and better compatibility with TT setups. Make sure to check out the new Crossfin design!
6) Wireless is now fully integrated into the Newton, improving reliability and reducing “extra bike” mount cost.
7) The screen is 30% larger.
8) Connection to your computer is through a micro USB cable—no more USB adapter. And your computer will recharge your Newton’s battery, too.
9) The look of the Newton is brand new. It’s smaller and lighter than previous iBike models, even though its display screen is larger
10) Waterproofness is improved because the battery door has been eliminated.

There are two models of Newton:

Newton: all the features above, with 2x the memory of the original iBike

Newton+: all of the features above, with 4x the memory of the original iBike, indoor trainer option built-in, and full CdA functionality

Of course, we have both black and white for both…

Everything you’ve read so far has been about new hardware. What about the software?

Meet Isaac: the Brains behind Newton

We have been working on new software, named "Isaac", that incorporates many new features:

1) Isaac radically simplifies the setup of the Newton, with an Assistant that allows you to enter your rider/bike profile information from your computer keyboard. Click a button and your profile is transferred. NO BUTTON PUSHING!
2) Isaac makes calibration easier and more automatic. Isaac will check your ride files and, if it sees something odd, will ask you about it.
3) Isaac’s menu architecture has been simplified, too, making it easier to use the software for your ride analysis. The advanced features of iBike software are still there, but they won’t “mingle” as randomly with basic features.
4) Isaac is compatible with all iBike models.
5) Help links remain but are be considerably simplified

FEATURES

All iBike Newton models include:
1) Computer head
2) Combination stem/handlebar mount
3) Mini USB cable
4) Speed/cadence sensor
5) Isaac software

To the list above the Newton+ model adds 2x memory (compared to Newton), indoor trainer function, and CdA measurement features.

PRICING

MSRP for the Newton is $499, and Newton+ is $599.

TRADE-IN PROGRAM

Any iBike owner of any generation can trade-in their old iBike for a Newton or Newton+, and receive a $200 discount, until July 4. After July 4 there will be a $100 trade-in credit.

Items shipped with a trade-in include:
1) Computer head
2) Universal handlebar mount
3) Mini USB cable
4) Isaac software
5) Pre-paid label for old iBike and mount (there is a surcharge for international shipments)

HOW THE TRADE IN WORKS

1) Order your Newton upgrade from our website. You will be charged full price for the model you select.
2) Once you receive your Newton, return your iBike and mount to us using the pre-paid label. The label will including tracking information, for your benefit and ours
3) Once we receive your returned iBike, we will refund your $200 to you immediately

Here are the links where you can order:

http://www.ibikesports.com/detail.aspx?ID=128

http://www.ibikesports.com/detail.aspx?ID=129

Of course, if for any reason you decide to cancel your order we will refund your money immediately.

For those of you who have followed us throughout the years, you know that we have been dedicated to continuous improvement and superior value. We hope you'll be as excited about the Newton as we are!

No doubt you’ll have lots of questions, and we will do our best to answer them.
Attachments
Newton_03.png
Newton_03.png (901.19 KiB) Viewed 12607 times
Newton+_04.png
Newton+_04.png (2.13 MiB) Viewed 12687 times
Newton+ Logo.png
Newton+ Logo.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 12604 times
Newton_Black 05.png .png
Newton_Black 05.png .png (940.07 KiB) Viewed 12539 times
Newton_01.png
CROSSFIN PORT
Newton_01.png (749.01 KiB) Viewed 12533 times
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby kondrag on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:05 pm

This looks great, John!

Question -- if we order early to qualify for the free extra mount, can we choose to wait on shipment of the extra mount for the stem version to become available?
kondrag
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby rcmaps on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:50 pm

Velocomp wrote:Newton+: all of the features above, with 4x the memory of the original iBike, indoor trainer option built-in, and full CdA functionality


What does full CdA functionality mean?

Is it like the iAero's 10 sec wait snapshot CdA if using without another DFPM?
rcmaps
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 6:00 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby rcmaps on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:52 pm

Velocomp wrote:
2) We are using new sensors throughout (wind, baro, and accelerometer). These new sensors are MUCH more accurate and immune to temperature changes.
3) Say goodbye to “Cal Wind”. Don’t need it!



Without necessarily giving away trade secrets, could I ask whether the sensors is similar with the current version's iDash+Power?

In other words, will this be an improvement upgrade for current iDash+Power owners?

Thanks
Last edited by rcmaps on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcmaps
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 6:00 am
Location: New Zealand

Did I miss it, GPS?

Postby PAllen on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:01 pm

Is GPS data captured for export?
PAllen
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby jparker on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Does the iBike Newton twist on just as the ibikeIII does? If it does could I just take the battery out and use the stem mount since the wireless senors are now in the new iBike Newton? I already have it set up and would prefer to keep it mounted on the stem. I don't really like the new steerer mounted stem set up and don't really care much for the handle bar mount as it seems to have more movement, due to flex, than a stem mount does. I'm excited about the Newton and can't wait to get one!!! Thanks for all the Great Improvements!!!!
jparker
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: H'ville N.C.

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby cjonbike on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:46 pm

John
Great news! Even better than expected! :D :D :D
A couple questions to help decide which model!
1) Power in from dfpm, power out to say garmin! Do they both accomplish this or one or neither?
2) GPS function is not listed above! Is this an add on or does ones one or both have this? Price if extra?

Again Thank you for your help, and products!
Chris
cjonbike
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 1:37 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby SSLTTX on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:10 am

Hi John
I need to know if the Newton will allow me to make up my own interval sets and send them to the unit like my IAero presently dose?
SSLTTX
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:50 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby rstrom on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:28 am

As someone else has already pointed out there is no mention of GPS. Is GPS still something that is available with the new unit?

What about if I have the GT feature (I think that is what it's called) that gives me the ability to use the Trek Duotrap sensor? Is this still something that will be possible with this unit?

If so will the unit still ship with the speed and cadence sensors so that I can set everything up on a second bike (it's not a Trek and does not have DuoTrap)?

When we ship back the old unit are you looking for the head, or the entire package of goodies?

How much will the steerer tube mount be if we decide to take shipment of the handlebar mount now and get a steerer tube mount later?

Thanks,

Robert
rstrom
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby rstrom on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:30 am

Oh, and what about heart rate? I don't see any mention of a heart rate monitor.

Also, where can I see a good picture of the steerer tube mount?

Do you have anything that you could post that shows the Newton mounted in this manner? If not, the closest picture that you could point me to would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
rstrom
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby rstrom on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:33 am

One last question (I think) - why does only one picture show the little green tab in the wind port?

Is this something that gets taken in and out? Please explain how this works.

Thanks,

Robert
rstrom
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby rcmaps on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:34 am

I don't see mention anywhere of heart rate monitoring or strap? Is this feature still available if using older iBike Ant+ straps ?
rcmaps
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 6:00 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby KenS on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:34 am

Is the steer tube mount the same as for the Gen III rechargeable wireless mount?
Also, if I've got the GT option, can I transfer that to the Newton?
-- Ken
KenS
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:55 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:10 am

kondrag wrote:This looks great, John!

Question -- if we order early to qualify for the free extra mount, can we choose to wait on shipment of the extra mount for the stem version to become available?


Yes, absolutely, but you will need to pay shipping costs for the stem mount.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:11 am

rcmaps wrote:
Velocomp wrote:Newton+: all of the features above, with 4x the memory of the original iBike, indoor trainer option built-in, and full CdA functionality


What does full CdA functionality mean?

Is it like the iAero's 10 sec wait snapshot CdA if using without another DFPM?


Yes, for the initial FW release with Newton+, the CdA functionality will be identical to the iAero
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:13 am

rcmaps wrote:
Velocomp wrote:
2) We are using new sensors throughout (wind, baro, and accelerometer). These new sensors are MUCH more accurate and immune to temperature changes.
3) Say goodbye to “Cal Wind”. Don’t need it!



Without necessarily giving away trade secrets, could I ask whether the sensors is similar with the current version's iDash+Power?

In other words, will this be an improvement upgrade for current iDash+Power owners?

Thanks


We're using the same sensor technology as in the + Power (these are expensive sensors...).
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: Did I miss it, GPS?

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 am

PAllen wrote:Is GPS data captured for export?


We decided not to put GPS chips into the Newton. We've figured out a way to do it for free...more about that later!
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:16 am

jparker wrote:Does the iBike Newton twist on just as the ibikeIII does? If it does could I just take the battery out and use the stem mount since the wireless senors are now in the new iBike Newton? I already have it set up and would prefer to keep it mounted on the stem. I don't really like the new steerer mounted stem set up and don't really care much for the handle bar mount as it seems to have more movement, due to flex, than a stem mount does. I'm excited about the Newton and can't wait to get one!!! Thanks for all the Great Improvements!!!!


No, the Newton uses a new mounting system, identical to the iBike Dash. You'll "retire" your Gen III mounts. The mounting system for the Newton is great and will offer improvements over the current Gen III mount system.

All of your existing ANT+ sensors (iBike sensors are all ANT+) will work with the Newton.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18 am

cjonbike wrote:John
Great news! Even better than expected! :D :D :D
A couple questions to help decide which model!
1) Power in from dfpm, power out to say garmin! Do they both accomplish this or one or neither?
2) GPS function is not listed above! Is this an add on or does ones one or both have this? Price if extra?

Again Thank you for your help, and products!
Chris


Yes, the GT key is still available for both models of Newton. You will need to buy a new GT key for your Newton, even if you owned one previously.

See separate response regarding GPS.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18 am

SSLTTX wrote:Hi John
I need to know if the Newton will allow me to make up my own interval sets and send them to the unit like my IAero presently dose?


Yep, that feature is still there!
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:20 am

rstrom wrote:As someone else has already pointed out there is no mention of GPS. Is GPS still something that is available with the new unit?

What about if I have the GT feature (I think that is what it's called) that gives me the ability to use the Trek Duotrap sensor? Is this still something that will be possible with this unit?

If so will the unit still ship with the speed and cadence sensors so that I can set everything up on a second bike (it's not a Trek and does not have DuoTrap)?

When we ship back the old unit are you looking for the head, or the entire package of goodies?

How much will the steerer tube mount be if we decide to take shipment of the handlebar mount now and get a steerer tube mount later?

Thanks,

Robert


See responses above regarding GPS and GT key.

The TRADE IN does NOT ship with sensors (you already have them from your prior models).

We want the head and one mount. You keep everything else.

If you pre-order you can get a free stem mount later on.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:23 am

rstrom wrote:Oh, and what about heart rate? I don't see any mention of a heart rate monitor.

Also, where can I see a good picture of the steerer tube mount?

Do you have anything that you could post that shows the Newton mounted in this manner? If not, the closest picture that you could point me to would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert


Your ANT+ HR strap will work with the Newton.

We don't yet have images of the new stem mount.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:23 am

rcmaps wrote:I don't see mention anywhere of heart rate monitoring or strap? Is this feature still available if using older iBike Ant+ straps ?


Yes, your ANT+ HR strap will work just fine!
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:25 am

rstrom wrote:One last question (I think) - why does only one picture show the little green tab in the wind port?

Is this something that gets taken in and out? Please explain how this works.

Thanks,

Robert


Good catch! The Crossfin design has a tab (green in the photo but will be clear in real-life) is removable. It makes a remarkable improvement in wind sensor performance.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:28 am

KenS wrote:Is the steer tube mount the same as for the Gen III rechargeable wireless mount?
Also, if I've got the GT option, can I transfer that to the Newton?


No, the mount is a completely new system.

No, you'll need to purchase a new GT key for the Newton (we had to rewrite the code for it).
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby teetopkram on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:52 am

Forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but will the iBike Newton be just like the iAero in terms of its ability to serve as a head unit for a DFPM, thus allowing comparison of ride profiles between the iBike and DFPM, DFPM-calibration of the iBike, etc.?

Thanks!
teetopkram
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby cjonbike on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:39 am

Very Sorry! I have a couple more questions!
1) To get the GT key. I see only 1 option, does this work for both Newton and say iaero?
2) If I wanted extra steer tube mounts! Do I order the one for the dash?
3) If I get the Newton now and later decide I want the Trainer option or the CDA features, will I be able to buy an unlock key for these features?

I Thank you for your help!

Chris
cjonbike
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 1:37 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:23 pm

teetopkram wrote:Forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but will the iBike Newton be just like the iAero in terms of its ability to serve as a head unit for a DFPM, thus allowing comparison of ride profiles between the iBike and DFPM, DFPM-calibration of the iBike, etc.?

Thanks!


Yes, full DFPM capability will be available in the Newton+
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby Velocomp on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:26 pm

cjonbike wrote:Very Sorry! I have a couple more questions!
1) To get the GT key. I see only 1 option, does this work for both Newton and say iaero?
2) If I wanted extra steer tube mounts! Do I order the one for the dash?
3) If I get the Newton now and later decide I want the Trainer option or the CDA features, will I be able to buy an unlock key for these features?

I Thank you for your help!

Chris


1) The GT key works only with the Newton. If, however, you purchase a new GT key for your Newton, then we will supply, without charge, a GT key for your prior-generation iBike.

2) Yes, the iDash steer tube mount is compatible.

3) Yes, we will have trainer and CdA unlock features for the Newton.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Re: At long last, the iBike Newton!

Postby ldmitruk on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:48 pm

For those of us living outside of the U.S. will we get a couple extra days on the return shipping deadline of 10 days?
ldmitruk
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Next

Return to Announcing iBike Newton

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest